Istanbul itself is a year-round attraction, and from the 20th to the 25th of October, crime fiction fans from around the world are converging on the Turkish metropolis. In celebration of Agatha Christie’s 125th birthday, Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah, located in the middle of the vibrant and hip Beyoglu district, is hosting the Black Week.
Built in 1892, a visit to this grand hotel is like staying in a museum that takes the guest back to the Belle Epoque. This includes the faithfully restored room where Agatha Christie was staying when she wrote her classic mystery "Murder on the Orient Express".
Internationally known authors are going to be there
In the week of October 20th, there will be various readings, discussions and special topic evenings all revolving around crime-fiction. It comes as no surprise that the Turkish mystery author Ahmet Umit is one of the participants, just as the Greek author Petros Markaris, who gained international attention with his Athens-based crime novels revolving around inspector Kostas Charitos. As well, Mathew Prichard, Agatha Christie’s grandson, will also be there.
Agatha Christie and the Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah have a strong connection. Legend has it, that the author wrote her classic mystery novel in room 411 of the hotel, which was built for passengers of the Orient Express. Today the room is named after Agatha Christie, and contains her works, photos, and an old typewriter in remembrance of her. Even the restaurant carries the name of the famous guest: Agatha.
- The Black Week – here is the program for everyone interested.
- If you want to book a Black Week Package, go here. FYI: the Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah is also listed in the book “1000 Places To See Before You Die”.
- Want to be a detective? If you want to solve a mystery during the Black Week, you can take part in whodunnit nights at various book stores around the hotel!
- If you’re looking for a cool design hotel instead of a grand hotel, hetras CEO Uli Pillau suggests the following hotels: Mama Shelter Istanbul, Seven Hills Istanbul, Sura Design Hotel Istanbul, The Istanbul Edition, Radisson Blu Istanbul, Turquhouse Boutique Hotel Istanbul.
- Want to visit Istanbul with going to Black Week? Andrea Ziegelmüller from hetras is fascinated – she gave us 11 reasons to visit the Turkish metropolis.